In early 1990’s the Republic of Azerbaijan and the European Union founded bilateral cooperation within TACIS programme for the support to the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) countries. The cooperation is governed by the EU-Azerbaijan Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA) signed on 22 April 1996 and entered into force on 1 July 1999. The political framework was set up within the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) on 14 November 2006.
Additional documents related to the EU-Azerbaijan agreements and programmes:
- 7 November 2006: Memorandum of Understanding aimed at strategic partnership in the field on energy signed between EU and Azerbaijan
- 16 June 2008: Framework Agreement signed between the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the European Union's Commission
- 17 May 2009: Eastern Partnership Declaration
- 13 January 2011: "Joint Declaration" on the establishment of the Southern Gas Corridor
- 13 January 2011: "Intent Protocol" on the establishment of a working group on the Southern Gas Corridor
- 13 January 2011: Memorandum of Understanding on National Indicative Program (NIP) for 2011-2013 within the framework of the EU's European Neighborhood
- 13 January 2011: European Neighborhood Partnership Instrument (ENPI) signed between the Republic of Azerbaijan and European Commission
- 13 January 2011: Memorandum of Understanding on Framework Document of Comprehensive Institution Building (CIB) Program signed between Azerbaijan Republic and EU within the framework of Eastern Partnership. CIB assistance is framed by three Institutional Reform Plans (IRPs):
- 29 November 2013: Agreement between the European Union and the Republic of Azerbaijan on the facilitation of the issuance of visas.
- 28 February 2014: Agreement between the European Union and the Republic of Azerbaijan on the readmission of persons residing without authorization.
- 14 June 2014: Protocol to the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement between the European Communities and their Member States, of the one part, and the Republic of Azerbaijan, of the other part, on a Framework Agreement between the European Union and the Republic of Azerbaijan on the general principles for the participation of the Republic of Azerbaijan in Union programmes. The Protocol came into force on June 14, 2016.